If you have a middle or high school student in the Etowah County or Gadsden City School System, you may have heard of the Family Savings’ MoneyIsland online game.
Since 2012, Debbie Landers, a retired teacher of 35 years in Etowah County, has successfully partnered with every middle and high school in the Etowah County area. When the state of Alabama began emphasizing new state standards in the 9th grade career preparedness units, it included financial literacy. MoneyIsland has since been a great resource for our partnering teachers of 7th-11th grades. Once the students successfully complete the course, they become “Financial Gurus” and are rewarded with a certificate and $5 coupon. The coupon can be redeemed at any Family Savings Credit Union branch for cash or used to open a youth savings account.
Family Savings also rewards the teacher with money for their classrooms. For each class that successfully completes the program, FSCU awards the teacher with a $50 Visa Card (up to $200 per teacher). The reward is to be used to purchase supplies for their classrooms. Since 2012, over 8,500 students in the Etowah County area have successfully participated in the program, and over $10,000 has been awarded for classroom supplies through their partnership.
In addition to MoneyIsland in Etowah County, Alabama, we offer other valuable personal finance lessons in our Georgia Communities. This includes hosting workshops, assemblies, PTA programs, etc. in elementary, high school and college classrooms.
So, what exactly is MoneyIsland, you may ask?
MoneyIsland is a virtual online-world where children learn valuable financial knowledge through activities and adventure! Kids learn more when they’re having fun and students become like a sponge, soaking up important lessons through blogs, quests, and earning real-life rewards! Parents and teachers also benefit from the peace of mind gained, knowing children are building a strong foundation to become financially independent adults.
- Free multi-level online game
- Prepares students with content knowledge and skills to be college and career-ready
- Engages students through hands-on computer and teacher-led programs that define financial literacy
- Acquaints teachers with the plans of instruction and strategies that supplement their resources
- Introduces FREE resources available to support effective instruction
- Implements web-based instruction – teacher led and blended enhanced online instruction
- Includes additional games, videos and other cool stuff for kids along with resources for adults on the program website
- Updates the content on a regular basis so that there’s always something new to learn and experience
- Shares passport for middle school students to stamp their progress through the online world with colorful stickers
- Utilizes the workbook manifest for our Advanced Levels in high school
- Developed by award-winning teacher and game designers
As you can see, our partnerships keep paying off, while we continue to provide our community partners with a program that teaches financial responsibility and wise decision making including:
- Planning & Money Management
- Saving & Investing
- Income & Careers
- Credit & Debt Management
- Management & Insurance
MoneyIsland Highlights !
Saving " Stone Broke"
Earning Real Life Rewards
Special Projects: MoneyIsland Story Boards
Advanced Level MoneyIsland in Area High Schools
Earning Guru Certificates
JumpStart Financial Literacy Conferences
Financial Fitness Challenge
Thank you Etowah County, Alabama for Partnering With Us!